Blackberry Farms: Harvesting better team communication
Located across 4,200 acres in Tennessee’s Smoky Mountains, Blackberry Farm is a luxury resort, brewery and spa that attracts people from around the world with its Southern hospitality and personal attention.
Enhance customer service and internal collaboration
$25,000 estimated savings by replacing emails with Groups
- 4x faster label creation process
“All team members have access to group and event agendas, work schedules and HR information to ensure they are well informed. This has not only improved communication and collaboration, but improved staff satisfaction. We couldn’t be happier."
- Nick Dibartolomeo, Vice President Finance and Technology
STORY: A BETTER WAY
Each of Blackberry Farm’s departments - from its craft beer brewery to its spa - bear the Blackberry name, but have their own goals and objectives, specific to their unique industries. Because of these distinct goals, each team was inadvertently closing themselves off from other Blackberry divisions.
The fact that many Blackberry employees work in the field or in secluded locations with no access to a computer certainly didn’t help nurture open communication; neither did the thousands of acres between the farm, the brewery, the spa and the resort. The Blackberry Farm leadership team, wanted to change that. The management team wanted to ensure each member of the organization was connected, comfortable interacting with one another, and able to share ideas and information - no matter their division.
HOW WORKPLACE HELPED
- Since implementing Workplace by Facebook, Blackberry Farm has successfully connected all 500 staff members.
- More than 85% of all employees actively use the platform, including 74% desk-less workers, such as brewmasters and groundskeepers.
- The team uses Work Chat for quick communication. If a guest misses their taxi to the neighboring Blackberry Farm spa, the resort’s front desk staff can now send a message to the spa staff, informing them that the guest will be late. Before Workplace, the front desk team would send an email to their spa counterparts and cross their fingers that they’d see it in time.
- And, because most of the team uses the Workplace mobile app, they’re able to reach one another through Work Chat, no matter where they are.
- Blackberry Farm also created Groups in Workplace to encourage collaboration and speed up innovation.
In using Workplace, Blackberry Farm has successfully connected its entire team - from groundskeepers and farmers, to front desk staff, administrators and everyone in between. The organization also fostered a more collaborative culture: it’s now easier than ever for the entire Blackberry team to share input on everything from menu items to spa schedules.
The brewery team recently shared early designs for its new craft beer labels, and welcomed feedback from teams across all departments. With that level of input, the brewery team finalized the design for its labels 4X faster than usual!
What’s more, the entire Blackberry Farm team has more easily upheld its sterling reputation for unparalleled customer service and amazing Southern hospitality, thanks to its improved communication via Workplace.